Pilot House

December 1978 — The original pilot-house on Pilot House Road in Caulfeild, West Vancouver. The pilot-house furnished pilots for all the deep-sea ships entering and leaving the port of Vancouver from 1898 until about 1920. They were rowed out to the ships by Thomas Grafton who lived in the cottage. The pilot-house was also a post office and a store and then a private residence until shortly after this picture was taken when it was demolished and replaced with a large home. More about the history of Caulfeild can be found in the West Vancouver Archives HERE